Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Land of Hope and Glory

(this post is emotionally charged, so, fair warning y'all!)

So you'd think, as an American, that I would have experienced every form of patriotism imaginable. The world views us in this way, and I view us this way.

We gets bits and pieces of it every day: we see when people put out their flags on their porches, we notice flag stickers on vehicles, and we'll recite the Pledge of Allegiance as small school children. There are times when we see it more often, like at sporting events, when the Star Spangled Banner is played and the entire crowd stands and puts their hands over their hearts. There are times when we reflect on those who have given their lives in the name of protecting the United States. Then there is the 4th of July, where we eat hot dogs and apple pie, and then light things on fire to watch them blow up. Y'know, 'Murican things.

Two Saturdays ago I played a concert with Midsomer Norton brass band. We shared the program with a solo singer, the MN&RSB training band, and a male voice choir. Male voice choirs are a tradition over here, so it was pretty cool to get a chance to see one (for free!) The concert was Proms themed. For those of you that are not aware, the Proms is a series of concerts that goes on in London at the Royal Albert Hall, generally ending in September. I knew this...but what I didn't know, was that the last night of the Proms is an absolute picture of patriotism. So when we arrived at the last third of the program, I was absolutely unprepared for what I was about to witness.

We played pieces like 'Hornpipe', 'Jerusalem', and 'Pomp & Circumstance'..very English and very traditional pieces of music, and they certainly showed just how English the affair was; the audience stood, sang, clapped, and waved Union Jacks around with great fervor.

In a concert hall. To music.
It was bizarre.

You know how I said I thought that I'd seen every form of patriotism?
yea-NO!!

There is nothing like this in the US. And to really make this clear, this is hardly a fraction of what goes on at the actual Proms. Only a scratch on the surface.

It was really emotional for me. I am not British (though I have often wished that I was), and it was strange to see people celebrating in their own form of patriotism. I don't know what it feels like to be proud to be British, I only know what it feels like to be proud to be an American... and even than, like I said before, I don't even consider myself patriotic. , But again, being in that situation really made me aware of how ingrained it is in me...

When we played Pomp and Circumstance, my emotions went berserk. First of all, Americans know that piece as the graduation song - the song (actually only about a quarter of the whole piece) that the band has to play OVER AND OVER AND OVER until all the graduates have come to their seats. I am numb to that piece of music - I've probably played it for a total of 6 hours...and actually, it's hard for me to consider it music at this point. That's why it was so strange to see people reacting to it with such joy. It reminded me that it is, in fact, an actual piece of music. I had literally forgotten. To see all of these people singing something that means so much to them, something that reminds them of their home and their patriotic spirit... I just didn't know how to respond.

Then I began to think of what that piece means to me. The last time I heard it was when I played it at my own graduation in May. It reminded me of playing music with some of my favorite people ever, of seeing my friends graduate, and all the emotions I felt on that day.

And then my brain exploded because of too many feelings at once..and then tears started rolling down my cheeks.

All the while I was still playing tuba.

A band member asked me what I thought of the concert afterwords. I told them that it was the strangest thing I'd ever seen...she told me that it wasn't. I didn't argue with her; she didn't know what I was feeling in that moment, and I knew I couldn't explain it to her even if I wanted to.
______________________________________________________________________________

I spent the night in Somerset, with the Williams family.

Jason (the dad), Tom (the trombonist) and I (the foreigner) got into a discussion about sports.
I had them explain cricket to me, and I actually think I might understand some of it! I explained baseball to them...and it's funny how once you know a sport, explaining it in it's most basic and pure form is really difficult. I had to tell them who the pitcher was, who the catcher was, what an inning was, what an out, strike, and ball was.

We drew pictures. It made everything easier.


3 comments:

  1. Very nice!
    I can understand the emotions of patriotism and how they might even be felt more deeply when you're away from home and learning and appreciating a new culture. It's cool when people are proud of their heritage. I'm sure happy I was born in a country where we are free to vote, express our opinions freely, be anything we want to be. I feel for those who are not free to choose. And I get tears in my eyes anytime I hear the Star Spangled Banner or God Bless America (especially when it's a great singer or musician). I also love it when large groups of people sing in unison (like at concerts or sporting events).
    Love your blog, you are such a good writer! And I hope you explained the World Series because the Giants are trying hard to get there. Go Giants!! Love, Aunt Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read through all your entries for the first time, and I had so much fun reading about your adventures! I'm glad you are having a good time over there, and hope you are starting to adjust to all your free time! Also, that is a nice sketch of a baseball field, and a great continental United States as well! Did you have to practice that for your Geography minor? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, so many of us are "patriotic" just because we are born here and don't know anything else. It is wonderful to listen to you talk about this from a more thought out place. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete